Thursday, March 21, 2013

Post #2: What is a book?

A book is an experience.
Q: Why do so many people see books as being so sentimental?
A: I honestly do believe that books hold a significant value over a Kindle or iPad. I've never had to plug my book in at night to make sure it doesn't die, and I've never had it run low on battery when I was  in the middle of reading it. I can read it for hours on end without getting a headache because I've been staring at a screen. Unfortunately, screen staring has become somewhat of a national pasttime. If you don't get in your eight hours of screen staring every day, you're mocked as having an old way of thinking and not being in touch with the modern world. Mr. LaValle says we treat books like stone tablets, but we're really just trying to get in touch with a world where you aren't constantly being stimulated by electronic media. The sentimental thing about books is that they only exist to be read and enjoyed by people, and they have been doing that for thousands of years. I think there's something tragic about that, because if people stop reading them then they have no purpose anymore and were created for nothing. But long after your iPhone has broken or died, books will still be there, waiting for you to read them or pass them on to the next generation. Sitting down to read a book is like an event, an experience. You have to plan out the time to read it, turn to the page you read last, turn on the lamp beside you, get comfortable in just the right place. I can flip out my smartphone at any moment and read something. It's almost too convenient, and takes away the value of reading something impactful or memorable. So in this respect I agree with Mr. Piazza. You don't get to see the ambition of the author or the magnitude of the work if you're reading everything on a two inch screen. That's why an electronic book isn't the same as the actual thing. You know how they say the sequel is never as good as the original? This still holds true today. I hope that books last forever, and I think they will, so long as we take the time to understand their meaning and true value.

2 comments:

  1. Fun way to think about it: "the sequel is never as good as the original." I also like your points about "screen staring" and how books help us escape that world, even if only for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I don't want to have to plung my book every night and make sure the battery isn't low, cause when I read a book batteries and power don't matter, all that matters is being engulfed by the story at hand.

    ReplyDelete